A Trademark is a distinctive sign or indicator used by an individual, business organization or a legal entity to identify their products or services to consumers. A Trademark forms the foundation for the corporate identity with which it indicates the consumers that the products or services originate from a particular source.
Trademark registration can be done for the following:
• A name, Word, Title, Heading, Symbol, Logo, Image, Label, Signature, Numeral, Device or any combination of these elements.
• Any Phrase, Slogan, Tag line, Punch Line, etc. which are used to distinguish goods or services of one person from those of another.
Functions of a Trademark/Brand Name:
• It identifies the goods and services and its origin or owner
• It advertises the goods and services
• It creates an image for the goods and services
• It stimulates further purchase
• It serves as a badge of loyalty and affiliation
• It may enable a consumer to make a life style or fashion statement.